Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010 - a breath of fresh air

So, it’s 2010. I think it may have been 2008 the last time I wrote in here. 2009 was a cocksucker of a year, and I don’t think I want to rehash any of it. Well, except to say that Christmas morning was so exciting for my boys that Val actually woke up first! And Lucian was so happy with all the presents he received that he literally couldn’t contain himself (read: He shit his pants! LOL).

So, now that that’s taken care of, let me get on with 2010. This is going to be a banner year for me, I think. We have plans in the works. We have vacations planned, if not actually scheduled. We are going to move back to the part of town that had us feeling like we had reached Nirvana. We’ll both be able to get to the gym regularly, so we’re going to get even MORE sexy than we already are – hard to imagine, I know. And Lucian is starting school. It’s just VPK, which is Pre-Kindergarten for those of you not in the know. It’s a full day 8:30am to 2:30pm from January 25 – May something-or-other. I’m very excited, and I’m very nervous.

Today, Lucian and I went shopping for school supplies. We bought the bookbag, lunch box, folders, a binder, markers, paints and paintbrushes, art smock, pencils, sharpener, crayons, scissors, and um… more stuff. He’ll be going to a school that specializes in performance art, so we also bought ballet shoes and tap shoes. I think I may have to buy some tap shoes for myself; they look like lots of fun! Next pay, I’ll be taking him out to shop for clothes. This is where it starts to get difficult, because here in Florida, winter doesn’t last too long. I don’t want to buy him too many wintery things, but at the same time, I don’t want him going to school in the same outfit day after day for weeks, either. Financially, this shopping trip is difficult too, because his little brother doesn’t really need lots of new clothes like he does, but they like to match when they go out, and Val gets a bit jealous when Lucian gets new things and he doesn’t. I should be saving our money for things like vacations and bunk beds, but I fear my desire to spend it all on consumables. I guess we’ll just have to see.

I think I’m going to try to contain my nervousness until we get closer to the actual first day of school. Otherwise, I may just spin out of control. If you have school age kids, what were your biggest fears, and how did you handle them? If your kids are still too young, what kind of goals do you have for your child(ren) once they are ready for school? Would you choose public or private school? Why?

No comments: